Selected dates 2022 Hawaii Island Hopping Special Offer £3199
Selected dates in 2023 Family Holiday to Big Island & Oahu Hawaii £2895
Selected dates in 2022 Big Island Family Hawaii Holiday £2239
Selected dates in 2022 California & Big Island Hawaii Holiday £2899
Selected dates 2022 Canada & Hawaii Holiday £3499
Selected dates in 2022 USA & Hawaii Holiday £4099
Selected dates in February 2022 Big Island Holiday Special Offer £3099
Selected dates in 2022 Hawaii, San Francisco & Los Angeles Holiday £2999
Selected dates in 2022 2022 Big Island & Waikiki Oahu Hawaii Holiday £2325
Selected dates in 2022 Twin Centre Hawaii Island Hopping Holiday £3099
Selected dates in 2022 Hawaii Island hopping with extra stops in Las Vegas and San Francisco £3299
Selected dates May 2023 Hawaii and San Francisco Holiday £2895
Selected dates in 2022 Hawaii, San Francisco and Los Angeles Holiday £3199
Selected dates in February 2022 Hawaii and Vegas Holiday £3325
Selected dates in 2022 Molokai, Honolulu and San Francsico - As seen on TV £3255
Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park
Hawaii is full of national parks. There is such rich culture, geography and history on the Hawaiian Islands that it is hard to determine what not to deem â€œprotectedâ€ or â€œimportant to historyâ€. Youâ€™re sure to visit one of the State or National Parks on your Hawaiian holiday.Pu'uhonua O Honaunau and its History
In old Hawaii, the culture thrived on coastal living and farming. The people respected and paid homage to their gods and goddesses and had a deep respect for the law of the lands.
When someone broke that sacred law, or kapu, the punishment would be harsh. Sometimes, it would mean death. The only chance that a criminal or lawbreaker had was to make it to Puâ€™uhonua o Honauanau. If they did make it then they were absolved of the crime in a special ceremony and were allowed to return to the public realm. Puâ€™uhonua literally means â€œplace of refugeâ€.
Pu'uhonua O Honaunau is located on the South Kona coast, next to Honaunau Bay. It is located on 180-acres of deep, Hawaiian cultural land and important land. Besides being the place of refuge up until the 19th century, it was also the home of royal grounds for quite a while.
What to do While Visiting Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park
- Much of the park has been restored and beautifully done.
- It is hundreds of years old and is still a place of important history for the Hawaiian culture.
- You can take a self-guided tour of the lands and see:
- The Great Wall which stands 10 foot high and is 17 feet thick
- Wooden images of gods, called kii, guard the sacred temple of Hale o Keawe Heiau.
- The Hale o Keawe Heiau once housed the bones of 23 alii, or chiefs.
The Royal Grounds near Pu'uhonua
- The Royal Grounds are just north of Puâ€™uhonua and they were once the home of the alii.
- You can all see the Keoua Stone which was a favorite spot to rest for the Kona high chief.
- The Royal Grounds holds another heiau (sacred temple) one of the oldest structures in the park.
- The Royal Grounds can be particularly breathtaking at sunset.
A trip to Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park during your Hawaiian holiday will may take you away from the beach, snorkeling and shopping for the day, but youâ€™ll leave with a deeper respect and understanding of Hawaiian culture when you leave.